Professional Assets Summary & Key Strengths
Experienced multiple level art teacher with background in working with individuals with special needs. Dedicated art educator with a strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence in teaching and learning. Strong belief in employing a variety of positive, innovative student motivation techniques and promoting open classroom discussions. Excellent communication skills and experienced in managing academic plans. Committed to public education and community service.
- Expertise in Art Education
- Extensive Experience With Special-needs Students
- Developmental Experience in Varied Lesson plans
- Experienced in Developing and Implementing Creative Learning Strategies
- Texas Education Agency Teacher Certification in Art, K-12
- Accomplished Artist in Mixed Mediums
- Extensive experience in Art Installations and Shows
- Computer proficient
Successful creative career including sale of art to private collectors, participating in various showings and exhibitions, as well as commercial licensing. Academic career at Texas Tech University notable for a number of competitive scholarship and grant awards.
- Don and Kay Cash Research Grant
- Helen DeVitt Jones Fellowship
- Helen Jones Art Talent Scholarship
- Bill Lockhart Endowed Art Scholarship
- Medici Circle Scholar Texas Tech University
- Visual Studies Art Scholarship
- Who's Who Recipient Among American Universities and Colleges
- Awarded TTU Graduate Teaching Assistantship for Two Consecutive Years
- Installation Exhibition, Texas Tech, April 3-11, 2015
- Lubbock Artist Juried Studio Tour
- Works in Private and Public Collections
- Select Series Used by Noted Wine Label
- Master of Arts: Art Education 2015,GPA 4.0, Texas Tech University - Lubbock, Texas Art Education
- Bachelor of Science: Interdisciplinary studies 2009, GPA 3.8, Wayland Baptist University - Lubbock, Texas Elementary Education, EC-4
- Certified Nurse Aide: 2005, South Plains College - Lubbock, Texas
- Education courses: Red Deer College, - Red Deer, AB Canada 2000
- General studies courses: Medicine Hat College - Medicine Hat, AB, Canada 1998
Honors & Awards
- Graduated Cum Laude: Wayland Baptist University 2010
- Lubbock Chamber of Commerce—Focus Lubbock course completion, 2008 (was one of three students chosen from area universities to take part in leadership training which culminated in meeting Texas legislators in Austin).
- Award "Beyond the Bells" Salvation Army Volunteer During Hurricane Rita Relief—Lubbock 2006
- Member of Red Deer College Cross-country Running Team 2000 Which Won Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference Title
- Winner Alberta Bronze Gloves Amateur Boxing Tournament 2001
- Winner Alberta Silver Gloves Tournament 2002
- Winner Atlantic Canada Golden Gloves Tournament 1991
- Texas Tech University - Lubbock, Texas—August 2015 - Current
Professional teaching position with the Visual Studies Program in the School of Art. Responsibilities include teaching a variety of undergraduate courses which implement innovative instructional techniques designed to inspire students to discover and express their own creativity and artistic style.
- Texas Tech University - Lubbock, Texas—2013 - May 2015
Part-time Graduate Instructor
Successfully improved students awareness and knowledge of visual cultures, art and education in relation to themselves, their peers, the elementary classroom and the cultures of art. Implemented opportunities for the students to develop personal art skills relevant to their own self-esteem and experiences.
- Lubbock-Cooper Independent School Distric - Lubbock, Texas—2011-2013
Certified Art Teacher
Sterling opportunity to build a program from the ground up (there was no art education at this impoverished school until they were awarded a grant). Devised all lesson plans, and implemented various sustainable supportive initiatives (such as using found objects collected by students, parents and staff as materials for projects). Spent substantive time during summer season to transform an old annex building into an welcoming, usable art space.
Successfully improved student art skills in the classroom through integration of creative group problem solving and implementing cross-curricular art lessons.
- Lubbock Independent School District - Lubbock, Texas—2005-2006
Assisted teachers with instruction and worked one on one with students in literacy and writing.
- L'arche Ireland Community - Kilkenny, Ireland—2003-2004
Directed overall in-house activities regarding to daily care for individuals with disabilities.
Helped build community which welcomed people with intellectual disabilities.
- Saint Patrick's Elementary School - Red Deer, Alberta—2001-2003
Severe Behavior Teacher Assistant, Turning Points Program:
Assisted teachers with students in various settings.
Taught children with behavioral problems life management and social skills.
Publications & Presentations
Extensive community art workshop experience (local, national and International).
- Texas Art Education Association
- Texas Classroom Teachers Association